- 9 a.m. Saturday, March 11, 2023
- Address: 1st Ave and Wise Street in Jermyn, Texas.
- Directions: Take Hwy. 114 into Jermyn, Texas, and turn left on 1st Avenue; find a map
- Lunch is at Casa Grande Mexican Grill at 108 N. Church in Jacksboro around noon. If a burger is preferred there is Herd’s Burgers at 401 N. Main.
- Images courtesy of John Nixon
Jermyn was founded in 1902 and was one of the last settlements in Jack County. The community was established as the headquarters for local mining but turned to agricultural business when the use of coal subsided in favor of oil. The population high mark was reached in 1968 at nearly 1100 residents and has declined to only 75 at the present day.
The Methodist Church in Jermyn was constructed in 1910 and has been frequently photographed by Fort Worth Camera Club members. This may be the last trip to the church as it is rapidly deteriorating. The floor is unstable in areas so be careful when shooting inside the building.