- March 1-6, 2023
- Big Bend National Park
- Big Bend is an 8-10 hour drive from Fort Worth
- Lodging of all types is limited; make reservations in 2022
Photograph starry skies, desert vistas and early spring bluebonnets in the Big Bend region of Texas. This outing will include three photo opportunities (days TBD):
- Sunrise at Santa Elena Canyon; photo above, by Roy O’Rear
- Sunset at Sotol Vista Overlook
- Morning views and lunch at Chisos Mountains Lodge area (Location may change since the lodge is expected to close for remodeling sometime in 2023.)
Participants may otherwise explore photo locations, hiking and dining of their choosing.
The park is one of the most re-visited parks in the national parks system. Visitors are attracted by the vast skies, desert and mountain ecology and wildlife. The area has limited options for lodging, camping and RVs, so reservations must be made well in advance.
If you have not traveled to Big Bend or have not explored West Texas, you’ll need to research locations and activities. Please be aware that you should heed all warnings about distance, weather, road conditions and hydration. The desert is spectacular, but unforgiving.
Many club members are regular visitors to the 800,000 acre national park and their images from the area often win awards. Ask members for suggestions at a monthly club meeting; find more information:
- Big Bend National Park/National Park Service; PDF park guide
- Big Bend Ranch State Park
- Texas Department of Transportation Travel Guide and Map
- Things to Do in West Texas
- Big Bend Natural History Association (guides, memoirs, history)
- Big Bend Photography